Friday 31 October 2014

Launch of our annual Toy Appeal

This week I launched my annual Christmas toy appeal for the fourth year running.

I collect the toys at my Hexham office which are then distributed by the Salvation Army to children who otherwise, would not have received any gifts at Christmas.

Last year myself, and Anne Marie Trevellyan, who runs the project in North Northumberland, were genuinely surprised and overwhelmed by the generosity of local people after we handed over almost 500 brand new toys for North East children.

Every toy that is donated this year will make a huge difference to the Christmas Day of the poorest children living in our region.

Over the past three years we have organised this collection I am been truly humbled that even as local people are felt the financial squeeze themselves they have been so generous. I think that says an awful lot
about Tynedale. I hope we can collect big batch of brand new toys this year and carry on what is becoming a really wonderful tradition here in Tynedale. There is a real sense of community in our part of the world, of looking out for each other and helping those in need. I am very pleased to help do my bit towards that with this appeal.

One of the projects volunteers Councillor Cath Homer explains “We are asking people to buy one more time this year when buying for their own children or grandchildren. Last year people were incredibly kind and
thoughtful with their choices, with presents arriving from the cuddly toy for a toddler to make up bags for teenage girls, and from lego kits to shaving kits."

People can drop of toys at my Constituency Office at 1 Meal Market Hexham (Above Costa) between 1st November and 1st December.
I will officially hand the toys over to the Salvation Army on 13th December.