Monday, 5 December 2011

Keep warm this winter

I am backing the Energy and Climate Change Minister Greg Barker's calls for pensioners and those on low incomes to make sure they’ve claimed for the help to which they’re entitled to keep warm this winter.

The Government’s Warm Front scheme provides grants to people in poorly heated or insulated homes to pay for boiler repairs, new central heating systems and insulation work. People who received help through Cold Weather Payments (CWPs) last year may be eligible for help. Cold weather payments are given to pensioners who receive pension credit or people onincome-related benefits who meet certain criteria. Those eligible for helpcan apply for up to £3,500 towards the cost of the work or up to £6,000 for homes not connected to mains gas.

Energy and Climate Change Greg Barker said:

With the coldest months of the year fast approaching, there’s never been a better time for people on low incomes to pick up the phone and apply for a Warm Front grant. Getting a boiler that works better or even just topping up loft insulation can lead to awarmer, cosier home in the future.

It’s easy to apply, all you have to do is call 0800 3166004 and, if you’re eligible, the Warm Front team will do all the paperwork for you.”

Over the next two years 90,000 people are expected to be helped byWarm Front adding to the 2 million helped since the scheme began in 2000. For those who are eligible the Warm Front team arranges a survey and ensures a package of measures is tailored to each home.

Maria Wardrobe, Director of Communications at the UK’s leading fuel poverty charity NEA said:

“The Minister’s call for people to seek help to improve the energy efficiency of their homes is welcome as NEA launches its annual Warm Homes Campaign with energy supplier E.ON. We know that the most vulnerable cannot afford the up-front cost of measures and Warm Front continues to be an excellent scheme during the transition to the Government’s proposed Green Deal and Energy Company Obligation programmes next year.”