Wednesday 22 February 2012

Hexham Bus Station

I signed the 2000 strong petition calling for Hexham bus station to be rebuilt on its existing site, which was presented to Northumberland County Council. Sadly the Lib Dem council bosses stated that their priorities for capital investment lay elsewhere.

Now whilst I think the current site is the best option I am willing to be over ruled if the engineering work can't make it fit for purpose. However, the clear point is that Hexham bus station has been in a terrible state for far too long. It is one of the first buildings seen by many visitors to our beautiful town and does not make a good enough impression. It is my opinion that the county council should make it a priority to build a new bus station on the same location as the current one.

The county council is planning three major capital investment projects, which are all in Morpeth and Ashington. I have written to the Leader of the Council to find out why Hexham bus station is currently not on their agenda.

I recognise that cash is short at the moment but if they are spending £25 million on a new leisure centre for Ashington, I do struggle to see how they cant find less than £1million for something which is key to the economy of our town.

Increasingly Hexham is getting a raw deal from the County Council.