Wednesday 24 September 2014

Post 16 Transport Update

The Northumberland County Council's full Post 16 policy is here:http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=45ddc58a-6fa5-4c3e-86a2-a2d36eb9d937&version=-1

Independent Councillor for Stocksfield Anne Dale has asked me to clarify her position on the introduction of charges for Post 16 Transport. I am more than happy to do so.
I had previously suggested in two Articles, dated 4 and 19 July this year that Mrs Dale sided with Labour on the Northumberland County Council and supported the abolition of Post-16 Transport. After discussions with Mrs Dale, she has made it clear to me that she does not support this policy, and points to her abstention at the Scrutiny Board on the 29th May.
I have agreed to withdraw the Articles which suggested that she did support this policy, and apologise to her for any disruption and distress caused by my suggestion that she did support this policy

Parents opposing the policy to charge Post 16 Students for school travel are collecting information on the impact on young people in 6th form. You can do so by filling in this short survey:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=4JLGt%2bislrtJc%2bZ0oIbZYS%2baZ%2fkZTQfpU%2bkdamWvBu4%3d


You can also keep up to date with the campaign groups activities via their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/526242160820688/?fref=ts
I myself am still opposing the policy. If you are a constituent and are having specific problems with the Council's new policy, or it is causing you hardship, please do not hesitate to get in touch and I will see what we can do to help. You can call my office on: 01434 601 420, email at: guy.opperman.mp@parliament.uk or write via: 1 Meal Market, Hexham, NE46 1NF