Saturday 27 December 2014

My 2014 Predictions - how did I do?

Well it's that time of year again. The time of year we look back at my predictions from last year and see how incredibly wrong I was! Let's see how it went this year..

"Two big elections occur: Scottish Referendum and European Elections. My view remains that we are Better Together and that the Scottish people will agree. I will be campaigning there on several occasions in 2014. As to the Euro elections I will be fighting hard for us to have a strong voice in Europe, and Martin Callanan is that person."

Well it's 1 out of 2 here. Blessed are we that the Union is still in one piece, but sadly Martin Callanan wasn't re-elected as our MEP, having lost by less than 3000.

"Syria I fear will be an ongoing civil war, but I hope to get a better understanding of the situation if I get the chance to visit, or meet with certain key players."
Sadly the situation in Syria remains truly awful and civil war rages. According to a new estimate by the World Health Organisation a million people have been wounded in the Syrian conflict. I have visited Southern Turkey/ Northern Syria for myself last year, you can read about my trip HERE.

"Iran remains, however, the key to improvement in global peace. If the nuclear reprogramming continues then we will all be able to both breathe a sigh of relief, and continue to reduce the wider impact and extent of Middle East conflict."
Iran has continued to meet it's commitments under last year's interim nuclear accord between Iran and the United States,France, Germany, Russia, China and Britain according to the U.N. The International Atomic Energy Agency said Iran was not enriching uranium above a fissile concentration of 5 percent, far below the 90 percent level needed for atomic arms. It also said Iran had not made "any further advances" to its activities at two enrichment facilities and an unfinished heavy water reactor.
You can read my Iran speech in November here:http://guyopperman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/iran-debatemy-speech-powerful-speeches.html

"Sport: as a former jockey and racing journalist I always like each bets: my long term each way tip for the national is Moonbeg Dude, owned by Mike Tindall and some rugby mates. Last years third Teaforthree will also run well."
Well a bit of return to form here. Pineau De Re came in first, ridden by an old jockey friend of mine, with my pick Moonbeg Dude coming in a (respectable!) 7th. Doing slightly less well was Teaforthree who failed finish after unseating his jockey at the Chair.

"I fancy Rose for the Masters and Woods for the Open, and Europe for the Ryder Cup. Murray to win Wimbledon again would be too amazing, but we have to dream!"
Nil points here at Justin Rose went out in the third round and Bubba Watson went on to win the Open. Although I was right in backing Europe for the Ryder Cup who won the 2014 competition defeating the USA by 16½ points to 11½.

Sadly it wasn't to be two wins in a row for Andy Murray who lost to Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter-finals. In the end Novak Djokovic took home the Men's title