Saturday 18 April 2015

Protecting our local NHS

On two occasions my life has been saved by the NHS - once when I had my brain tumour in 2011 and once when I was crushed by a horse at Stratford Races when I was a jockey. As a result I had 12 broken bones, a pneumothorax, a ripped kidney and had my spleen removed. As a result I am immuno compromised and need the annual Flu Jab - given to me here in the pic by Sarah, who works in the GP clinic at Haltwhistle.

I came into politics because of my passion for the NHS, and have campaigned for NHS services for over 20 years. 

Over the past 5 years as your MP I have tried to do all I can to support local NHS services and will continue to do so if relected: I have helped lead successful campaigns to keep Maternity services stay at Hexham Hospital, and to protect A+E services at the Hospital.
After many years of supporting the project and after £4.6million investment, a brand new NHS hospital for West Tynedale has finally been built. I was there in Haltwhistle in March at the opening.  
I also led the campaign to scrap VAT on Air Ambulance, which will now save the Great North Air Ambulance £24,000 every single year, the cost of 10 life saving missions.
I have been been and will always continue to be a real champion of our NHS, and welcome the commitment my party leader has given to increase NHS funding if relected: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32260220.