Tuesday 12 March 2013

Puffin Billy - a sure Northumbrian sign for punters at Cheltenham today

Puffin Billy each way is a must do north east bet today.
Admittedly my days as a racing journalist / tipster are long gone, and the old adage of Cheltenham is that if you want to double your money you should fold it and put it back in your pocket. But I have to receommend a few quid each way on Puffin Billy in the first at Cheltenham today for two reasons:
- The Puffing Billy was the famous first commercial steam locomotive built by Hedley for the owner of the Wylam Colliery, Mr Christopher Blackett. It replaced horses with a steam locomotive for the transport of coal. It was a significant step in the engineering revolution which started in the North East. Its construction was in 1813 and we are having a series of celebrations in Wylam this summer to commemorate the 200th anniversary.
- The Horse, Puffin Billy, which runs in the 1.30 today is trained by my good friend Oliver Sherwood for whom I have ridden out in Lambourn. I wish horse and rider well - they shall be carrying my £2 each way.
If I could own one horse at the meeting it would be Simonsig, who runs in the Arkle Chase. This big strapping grey is one I would love to ride.