Thursday 2 October 2014

I owe my life to the NHS - pleased the NHS budget is to be protected again.

It is well known that I have had my life saved by the NHS ....twice ... Once as a jockey and once when I had a brain tumour. And I have spent a large part of my career before coming into parliament, and since becoming an MP, supporting and helping our health service in its many forms. Whether this is speaking up for our doctors and nurses in the House of Commons, fighting regional pay, visiting all our many care homes, hospitals and GPs, fundraising for the Tynedale Hospice at Home, or chairing the All Party Group for Air Ambulances, our health system is my number one concern.

During this last 4 years the NHS budget, international aid and 4-16 education are the only things that have been protected in this parliament - every other department has taken a serious hit. So it is rubbish to say that the Coalition are not supporting the NHS, during the worst recession in living history. Bear in mind that it was Labours Andy Burnham who was the health secretary who presided over the mid staffs disaster.

Yesterday, the PM set out debunking some of the Labour myths:
Displaying a flash of anger, he told the conference hall: “From Labour last week, we heard the same old rubbish about the Conservatives and the NHS. Spreading complete and utter lies.”
He added: “For me, this is personal. I am someone who has relied on the NHS – whose family knows more than most how important it is . . . how dare they frighten those who are relying on the NHS right now? It might be the only thing that gets a cheer at their Party conference but it is frankly pathetic.”
The PM pledged to protect the NHS budget if he won a second term in office - and “continue to invest more” on top.
In Northumberland we have outstanding medical care. For example, in Haltwhistle we have the country's first truly integrated NHS and local authority joined up hospital. Rest assured I will go on speaking up for,our NHS and fighting for more funding locally.