Thursday 6 December 2018

My response to the rejection of the application to reintroduce Lynx to Kielder Forest

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has taken the decision to reject an application by the Lynx Trust to release Lynx to Kielder Forest. 

I am delighted with the news. (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/lynx-reintroduction-in-kielder-forest)  During the consultation period I held discussions with the many local farmers and residents, as well as the National Farmers Union. I did not speak to any farmer in favour of the proposal. I also conducted multiple surveys with hundreds of local residents, with the overwhelming majority clearly opposed.

Lynx are four foot long, two foot high wild. Releasing them in our communities would have been completely inappropriate.

Michael Gove, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs visited Northumberland earlier this year, and I took him to the uplands and to meet with several local farmers and rural Northumberland residents. I am delighted he has taken this decision.  

The simple point is that the Lynx UK Trust did not make the case.