Thursday 30 May 2013

Shows, Street Parties, Regatta & Garden Parties galore in Northumberland this weekend

Saturday sees both the Charlotte Straker Hospice Fete and the Humshaugh Fete - where I am relieved of the wonderful but difficult task of judging the winner of the best cake competition: last year I tried over 12 cakes - and people wonder why I am not jockey weight anymore. The new judges will discover that the Humshaugh villagers are magnificent cooks! Both fetes are well organised and great fun and in aid of great causes. I know that you will find no finer place to find jam or marmalade than at the Humshaugh Stall - I always stock up there.
They start at 1.30 in Humshaugh and 2 in Corbridge - I will try and go if I can.
If you have not realised how special the Charlotte Straker Trust is and the work they do as respite and other carers then please come along or check out their website: http://www.charlottestraker.org.uk/
There is also the Hexham Regatta most of the day on the river in Hexham - you will see quality rowing.
On Sunday there is another Prudhoe street party from 12-4; this event last year was a blast and I am assured by locals it will be brilliant again. You can pop in to my favourite Prudhoe cafe Il Piccollo on West Street 50 yards short of the police station for a cup of tea, cake of fancy coffee!
Alternatively and also on Sunday at 3pm the local Ponteland Conservatives are laying on a wonderful Afternoon Tea at Eland Green Farm, Ponteland. All our welcome. I will be there - they are easy to find - on North Road just on the outskirts of Ponteland on the right as you leave.