Sunday 7 March 2010

Torchlit beacons lighting up Hadrians Wall - do not miss it!

It is 6 days to go until Hadrians Wall is lit from end to end and is the number one tourist attraction of the North East once more. On Saturday, March 13, the entire length the Wall will be illuminated by 1,000 beacons carried by volunteers standing at intervals in a spectacular torchlit beacon lasting the 84 miles from Wallsend to Cumbria. Linda and her team at the Hadrians Wall Heritage are to be congratulated. There have been some doomsayers who say it might rain or is not worth the cost - but I disagree: I am sure it will be an amazing event. Everyone I know locally will be there watching it. All of us have got our own special points of interest from which to view it from, as the top spots at Housesteads are all gone. As I ride out between Chollerford and Housesteads I think I have a good spot! A good coverage of this once in a lifetime Tourist event is found in the Courant this week.
http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/news-at-a-glance/the-rush-to-switch-on-the-wall-lights-1.677145?referrerPath=home