Tuesday 15 October 2013

Deputy Speaker Hustings and election

The Speaker and his deputies really matter to the smooth running of parliament, the need to hold the executive to account, and the importance of backbenchers being heard. On these last two points John bercow has been a brilliant speaker. He has been a massive improvemenet for backbenchers like myself who traditionally would not get heard for 6 months plus. He adores the House of Commons and does a difficult job as well as he can. There is no doubt that MPs would try the patience of a saint, and John is not a saint, so I forgive him his occasional upsets! Also, like Judges he is not allowed to talk back and must take all the slings and arrows in silence. This is not easy for anyone in such a high profile job.

Tomorrow, all MPs will elect a new Deputy Speaker to replace Nigel Evans, who has had to resign. The convention dictates Nigel's successor must be from the governing parties. David Amess, Henry Bellingham, Brian Binley, Simon Burns, Nadine Dorries, Eleanor Laing and Gary Streeter are standing. Liberal Democrats are eligible to put themselves forward, too, but it seems none felt they could command sufficient support.

Today, I went to the Hustings organised by Dods in the House of Commons. I should stress that I am not canvassing for any particular candidate - I am way too busy. The candidates spoke for 2 miunutes and took short questions from journalists and MPs. The candidates have already addressed the parliamentary parties, and had to all present to the Labour party in a slightly surreal counter intuitive election contest, as all MPs vote on the replacement [I would vote on a Labour choice].

The press tomorrow will be full of the hustings: all are colleagues, good candidates, and nice people. Elinor Laing was good, Burns likewise, although a sign fell down halfway through his speech; Binley was decent and solid, and has rightly made the case that he would stand down if Nigel were acquitted. Although I like her I do not believe Nadine Dorries is the right choice for this job. I could not stay to hear David Amess, who I hear was funny and capable, but the two standout candidates for me on the day were Gary Streeter and Henry Bellingham, whose odds have been shortening by the day, with Elinor Laing close behind.

Gary rightly made the point that a good speaker is like the referee of a football match: if they are good noone notices them. Gary is a self effacing veteran of the House and has 21 years experience on all sides of the fence. On balance he will get my vote tomorrow.