Thursday 15 May 2014

Rural Oscars Report - success for Blagdon Farm Shop and Bardon Mill Village Shop

Two weeks ago I was pleased to attend the National Countryside Alliance Awards, also known as “the Rural Oscars”, held in Westminster. Not only was this a fantastic celebration of vital rural business but I was on hand to witness two of our home grown success stories being recognised.

Bardon Mill Village Store and Tea Room, opened only last year by Michael and Dawn Smith [pictured with me], was a finalist in the competitive “Village shop/post office” category and our very own Blagdon Farm Shop won Highly Commended in the Butcher Category.
This is not the first time Simon and his team at Blagdon Farm have been recognised for their hard work and high standards: their apprentice Daniel was recently honoured at Butchers’ Hall in London.

I believe supporting our local businesses is important as they are the backbone of Rural Life. So if you are looking to try a new Northumberland gem do take a look at My Top 10 places to go in Northumberland this summer http://guyopperman.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/my-top-10-places-to-go-in.html
and enjoy what we have to offer.

My congratulations go to Michael, Dawn, Simon, Daniel and everyone who contributed to the success of our local winners.