Wednesday 14 April 2010

campaign day 9 - tv debate looms


On the campaign trail today there was much discussion about the TV Debate. Spent the morning on the Wall, then in Hexham, popped over to Stocksfield and finished by canvassing at length in Acomb. Ended up + a pint in the Sun Inn, digesting much discussion from voters as to the limitations on the TV Debate - which bizarrely has 78 rules, as Matt makes abundantly clear in his cartoon today!
I suspect the viewer will want a cross between a church hustings - of which we have two here in Hexham - and Question Time. I did a TV Debate last weekend in Berwick which had a significant degree of cut and thrust; it was the first time that I had met Dave Anderson, the MP for Blaydon. He is not of my persuasion but is a man passionate about his cause. My standout comment from him was when he said to me before the debate -"I know your point of view and I know mine [although on air he actually disagreed with his own policy] but do you have any idea what the liberals stand for?"
I am going to miss the debate tomorrow as I am on the campaign trail in Stannington and the surrounding area tomorrow night with the local councillor Mel Armstrong