Monday 31 January 2022

Storm Malik and Corrie update

Although progress has been made reconnecting homes since Storm Malik hit on Saturday morning, I have been informed that 4,000 people are still without power. Of these affected customers, I am urging the most vulnerable to contact my office at: guy.opperman@parliament.uk. 

I am in regular contact with Northern Powergrid, and others, and we are working together to deliver targeted welfare support to those most in need. 

I have been advised that the majority of homes will be reconnected today, with only a small proportion having to wait until tomorrow. 

For those customers still off supply at 8am on Sunday 30 January, welfare payments will be paid for: 

- Reasonable costs for food of up to £15 per person per meal.

- Reasonable costs for alternative accommodation for anyone not reconnected by 2pm.

Northern Powergrid are asking customers to retain receipts and email all claims to: stormmalikclaims@northernpowergrid.com.

STATUTORY COMPENSATION

Additionally, customers will get £70 if the power was off for 48 hours.

And then they’ll receive £70 for each extra 12 hours where they haven’t had electricity.

LEARNING LESSONS FROM STORM ARWEN 

As you may be aware, I am writing a report following the meetings I have been holding on the response to Storm Arwen. 

I will be sending the report to Ofgem and the Department for Business, to be considered for their Reviews. 

If you have suggestions or recommendations on how we can improve our response to storm events, please email these to me: guy.opperman@parliament.uk.