Saturday 28 September 2013

Scottish Independence debate - Salmond wants to debate DC but won't face Darling

I have just spent a week on the road campaigning in Scotland. I will blog in more detail in due course on my findings from the 12 different events, campaigning, dinners and meetings I had from Stonehaven to Argyll and many parts either side, and in between, but the debate issue is fascinating.
Alex Salmond will not debate Alastair Darling, the leader of the Better Together campaign.
But he's desperate to debate the PM, David Cameron. Why? Because he wants to make this a Scotland v England debate when the reality is that this independence campaign is a decision for Scots to make. I spent the week observing, listening, and making the case that I passionately want to preserve the Union. The debate is between the Independence Scots and the Better Together Scots. That is the issue from which Salmond is running from. He should debate Alastair Darling.