The Interview will be shown in some independent US cinemas on Thursday.
Sony Chairman Michael Lynton said he was "excited" that the comedy, about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, would now be seen.
Two cinemas in Atlanta and Austin have already revealed screenings.
They said via social media that Sony Pictures had authorised them to show the film, which has been at the centre of escalating tensions between the US and North Korea.
"Breaking news," tweeted Tim League, founder of the Alamo Drafthouse cinema in Austin.
"Sony has authorized screenings of THE INTERVIEW on Christmas Day. We are making shows available within the hour." The White House welcomed the development, with a spokesman saying that President Barack Obama applauded Sony's decision and that the US was a country that "believes in free speech".
Seth Rogen, who directed and starred in the film, tweeted: "The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn't give up!"
Sony had previously announced that the film's release would be pulled completely, following a hacking attack on the company and threats against cinema chains that planned to screen the film.
That decision drew criticism in Hollywood, with some calling it an attack on the freedom of expression.
Mr Obama had also called Sony's initial decision to pull the film "a mistake".
Major movie chains in the US are thought unlikely to take part in the release at this stage.
Mr Lynton said: "We are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theatres so this movie can reach the largest possible audience." He also said he "hoped it would be the first step of the film's release".