Friday 3 November 2017

Lynx in Kielder- clarification from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

I am strongly opposed to the proposed reintroduction of lynx into Kielder Forest, and this week I have received assurances from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs about the issue. 

The Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Environment has written to me, informing me that the Secretary of State, Michael Gove, will make the final decision on the application made by the Lynx Trust to reintroduce lynx to the area. I was also reassured to hear that the Department fully understand the concerns of Kielder residents and that any decision would be taken very carefully, on the basis of all evidence, and I am glad to have this clarification from the Department. I know from my extensive discussions with the National Farmers Union and Kielder residents that the vast majority are opposed to the plans because of the agricultural and economic damage lynx could cause and I will continue to work hard to ensure that the people of Kielder- who are the ones who will be directly affected- are listened to on this issue.