Sunday 27 October 2013

East coast mainline and HS2

I have known tins of sardines that are less packed than the 4.25 from Newcastle to London kings cross that I am on as I write. Before you ask I am in second class - have never travelled on a train in first. There are literally dozens of people in every carriage sat on the floor with other standing perched over the top of them. People are left stranded on the platforms at Grantham and other places because the train could literally take no more people.
This is not because of the storm - it is merely the regular fate of the Sunday traveller, with engineering works, cancelled trains, etc. Last Monday my labour colleagues and many other MPs were delayed by the disruption to the lines leading to a 7 hour plus journey. I have been repeatedly delayed whilst commuting up and down and have stopped travelling when on a deadline as I am all to often delayed. Several of my colleagues are now flying, including myself on several occasions, rather than take the train, although I would prefer to take the train. I do not blame the train staff, who are very apologetic and frankly resigned.
There is much dispute on whether politicians should leave this state run service as it is, or else try and get it run by a private company. The length of the franchise is key to the amount of investment. The journey from London to Manchester on a virgin train is light years away from the east coast experience.
I have been to several transport seminars recently, and spoken to several key train experts. The view of one and all is that we should not keep services like east coast as a state run service. I can say very robustly that no one on this train wants to keep it is way. As my neighbour said unprompted to me - "the truth is this is British Rail."
He is right. This service was nationalised on 14/11/09. I urge anyone to compare this define with the service that Virgin rail provide on the west coast. The difference is clear.
This week we are voting on HS2. I will be supporting it. I have met the original architect, Andrew Adonis, and been to several briefings. I would urge labour MPs to put aside party politics and support it. These projects need cross party support, and I will be seeking to persuade conservative colleagues as well.