Thursday 29 May 2014

County Show a massive success on Monday

This year I was the judge of the outdoor Agricultural stands and was pleased to meet and chat to so many brilliant stallholders. Winner was David Henderson Tractors, who had worked for days to make their stand literally gleam - never before have I seen tractors and farm equipment look this smart! And all this after a downpour and huge problems getting the equipment on site. They were a great team and were enthusiastically selling and showing off their wares in a really positive way.
In second place was Kirkley Hall College, who combined so many elements of the college in their stand, whilst the NFU once again put forward a great stand - full of animals, produce, hands on experiences of farming and so much more. My thanks to my faithful sidekick Susan who kept me in order and helped the job fly by. On the whole the day went off without a hitch, albeit there were some problems getting in to the site early on from the Stocksfield side. I am certain that the team will learn lessons to make it even better next year, but noone could fault the size and scope of the show which goes from strength to strength.
I spent the whole of the rest of the day at the show taking in all the events and attractions, and going from stall to stall chatting and meeting people. Finished off as usual in the Haydon Hunt Beer Tent. A great day.