Saturday 1 December 2018

Democracy Day

Last week I visited four schools as part of Democracy Day. I was able to conduct a detailed question and answer sessions with pupils in Hexham Middle School, Bellingham First, and Bellingham Middle and to have a quick chat in West Woodburn First School.

My many thanks to the teachers who invited and hosted me, and to the fantastic questions and discussions of democracy that took place. Parliament Week and Democracy Day discussions are always a highlight in my annual calendar.

My favourite ‘left field’ question after all our discussions of the job, what Parliament is like, and why voting matters came from Connor in Bellingham. Do you agree with pineapple on a pizza? The answer is of course - No.

My thanks to Mr Freeman-Myers of Hexham Middle School and Mr Bewick of Bellingham First School for organising the events at their schools.