Sunday 9 May 2010

Acceptance Speech

"It is a great honour to be asked to represent the Hexham Constituency.
Yesterday I visited all 77 polling stations, and I saw for myself that this was an exceptionallywell run election.
I pay tribute to all the election staff, the police and the returning officer.
I could not have won this seat without a huge amount of help from so many volunteers.
My chairman, councillors, family, friends and loved ones, my agent and the office teamhave been a rock of support.
I simply would not be here without you
We ran a local and very positive campaign, which talked about what the Conservatives have done localy and nationally, and what we will do in the future.
Whatever the government I will always be a voice for our area, first and foremost.
But the government also needs to listen to rural communities like ours.
I believe an MP should represent all sections of the community - regardless of creed or cause. I will strive to do this. It has been my dream to try and play a small part in making this country and this county a better place.
I thank you for all your support.
The real job starts now."