Saturday 2 June 2012

The Jubilee celebrations begin


Today an elegant but small pensioner, who is also a grandmother, will celebrate her 60 years as head of state by going racing to the Derby. I speak, of course, of the Queen. You cannot find anyone who would reproach her. She is an example to all of us.Yet if one thing shines through above all others it is her sense of duty and pride in her job.

Yet she works harder than almost anyone I know; for her, I get the impression that doing a good job for the benefit of others is the most important thing. Her dignity derives from her invariable respect for the role that birth and fate have given her. The Queen is religious, but accepting of all faiths. She also has grace - both generally and under pressure. We are very lucky to have her.

Hope she enjoys the Derby - my tips are in todays Journal, where I am the guest racing correspondent - am having a go against the hot faourite Camelot.