Wednesday 5 May 2021

Vote Stephen Westgarth on Thursday 6th May

On Thursday 6th May, we will all have the chance to vote for the County Councillors who will represent our local towns and villages here in Northumberland.

I have been asking local Conservative candidates across the constituency to set out why they are standing to be County Councillor.

Stephen Westgarth is standing for County Councillor for Bywell.

Northumberland is a beautiful county. Wild woods and moors, beautiful beaches, vibrant city life, and historical villages. There is much to be thankful for, but it's far from a perfect world and life could be better. 


I'm standing for election as Conservative councillor in East Tynedale (Bywell Ward) because I want to make a difference. 


I came to Newcastle University in 1988 to study medicine, and stayed because I love it here. I live in Wylam, where with my wife, weve raised two boys through local schools. I love fishing the Tyne for salmon, and our spending time on our allotment. 

 

My plan for East Tynedale-


1. Coronavirus has hit our community hard, but the vaccine rollout means the end is in sight. I will work with the County Council to support our local businesses so they can bounce back from the pandemic.


2. Roads across Northumberland have seen real improvements over the last four years, but there is always more to do. I will make sure East Tynedale gets its fair share of the £120m road and footpath repair fund.


3. Many residents are concerned about crime and anti-social behaviour locally. I will work with the police and community groups to deliver proper enforcement and on the spot fines with public space protection orders.


4. Friends of the Earth has rated Northumberland as one of the cleanest, greenest councils in

the country. I will work to clean up the Tyne for wildlife, swimmers and fishers, and to make Tynedale a ‘net-zero’ district by 2030.


5. I will work with the police to tackle speeding and pavement parking in our villages and will fight to make sure we get our fair share of the 219 new police officers recruited to the Northumbria Force by the government.


It would be a privilege to represent East Tynedale.  There is no question that it is a challenge but Im committed to working hard for my community to bring about the changes we all want to see.


Vote Conservative on 6th May