Saturday 2 September 2017

Conservation at Kirkley Hall

I recently visited Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens, where I was given the chance to see the zoo's newest enclosures and animals, before officially opening their brand-new Rainbow Lorikeet enclosure. It was great to talk with staff at the zoo who do such fantastic conservation work, and I especially enjoyed seeing animals such as the recently arrived squirrel monkeys and Teemo the Civet. I was delighted to be asked to open the Rainbow Lorikeet enclosure which is now home to the beautiful birds which are a species of parrot originally found in Australia. A lot of work has been put into the enclosure and Kirkley Hall Zoological Gardens should be very proud of it. I have visited Kirkley Hall several times since the zoo opened in 2011 and I know that as well as being an important centre for conservation work, it is also a great place to spend a family day out. I thoroughly enjoyed my day there and I certainly recommend a visit.