Tuesday 15 November 2011

The Fair Fuel Debate

I have had to be in Northumberland today so I have missed the Fair Fuel debate brought forward by my friend Robert Halfon, the MP for Harlow.
Robert came to Hexham in April and is a genuinely good man trying to do what he can for his constituents and others.
I support his motion - which was passed unopposed by the House of Commons today, which urges the Goverment to scrap the rise in petrol duty. All of us understand that the govermenet needs to raise money to pay of the deficit but this may be a tax that is stopping the economy growing and punishes rural people in particular
This issue touches upon my campaign to stop fuel poverty and is a real issue in Northumberland where a car is a necessity, not a choice. Certainly that was the view of the locals in Tarset who I was speaking to on this issue on Saturday.
You can read more at:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061572/Scrap-rise-petrol-duty-100-MPs-demand-Osborne-abandon-planned-3p-increase.html#ixzz1dnvxRuDm