Tuesday 1 January 2013

My Predictions for 2013

International politics: As Syria descends into civil war, the focus will shift to Iran and its nuclear intentions. World leaders will have to make very tough decisions on the middle east generally and Iran in particular. My one strong prediction is that Assad will not be the leader of Syria by the end of 2013. The end game for him is nigh.

Big Local Issue 2013: I predict the issues around our green belt will dominate locally in 2013.

International Democratic Day of the Year: the Falklands Referendum on March 10th 2013 - when the local people finally are able to make their feelings clear. I happily predict the islanders will vote to remain British.

Local Democratic Day of the Year: May 2nd when Northumberland goes to the polls. I will put my neck on the block and make two predictions; 1) The Conservatives will have more seats that we have now 2) The Conservatives will win one or both of Hexham West and Haydon and Hadrian.

In the Arts: The Oscars are the only show in town in the spring so my strong prediction is Best Actor to Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln, with Les Miserables as Best Picture.

A horse racing bet: Flemenstar is a good choice each way for the Gold Cup in Mid March but I particularly like Sea Bass each way to win the Grand National on April 6th

And finally...Sport: Not my finest predictions last year, but here it goes for 2013. Murray will win Wimbledon, England will win back to back Ashes series, Man United will win the League, and Rory McIlroy will win the Masters, only to be denied a grand slam by Ian Poulter who wins the Open.

Come back in 12 months time to see how I got on!