Saturday 24 February 2018

I pledge my support to ban #ShockinglyLegal electric dog collars


This week I attended a Dogs Trust event at the House of Commons to pledge my support for a ban on the use and sale of electric shock collars. Electric shock collars are training devices that deliver an electric shock to the dog via metal protrusions from the collar making contact with the neck, with the aim of reducing unwanted behaviours such as livestock chasing or crossing property boundaries. The collars can be activated by remote control or automatically. Despite being cruel and causing distress and anxiety to dogs, the collars are #ShockinglyLegal and England is lagging behind both Scotland and Wales, which have both banned their use. There is simply no need for this type of dog collar when there are so many positive training methods available, and so I am delighted to pledge my support to Dogs Trust in calling for a ban on the use and sale of these out-dated and cruel electronic dog collars. This is a hugely important issue for dog welfare and I hope my support will help make a difference.