Friday 8 November 2013

Christmas Card Saturday

I purchase and then hand sign over 800 christmas cards - but I could not do this without the dedicated team that assemble each year over a long Saturday afternoon in November. That Saturday is this coming Saturday. After my morning surgeries I will join the team in Humshaugh when we stuff, label and stamp the cards I have signed. We gather around a big table. Some of the team involved are in their 80's. All are full of wisdom, steeped in Northumberland history, and the chat as the light fades, and the task ends, is always fascinating.
It is an event that I always look forward to, as for me it signifies that Christmas is not far away. The cards once signed, labelled and stamped in a military operation are then taken to the post office for the first week in December.