Saturday 23 November 2013

Dozens of West Northumberland schoolchildren, parents and teachers come to visit the House of Commons

Yesterday I welcomed around 30 children and almost as many parents and teachers to Westminster. Almost everyone came from West Northumberland villages, with the connection being that everyone was linked or went to the First Schools at Greenhead, Herdley Bank or Henshaw. The House of Commons was sitting so we were not able to take them into the Commons chamber, but we were able to show the parents and teachers around the House of Lords, the beautiful Crypt chapel, Westminster Hall, Central Lobby and around the endless corridors and rooms that make up this amazing Victorian building.
Sadly for our guests Pete, who works for me, and myself were the tour guides - and we are not a patch on the professional guides albeit we probably give a more colourful version!

The children held a mock election and elected Sophie as their Prime Minister. Unsurprisingly, there was great competition to be Minister for Sport [presently a post occupied in real life by Carlisle born Helen Grant].
We then all squeezed in to Committee Room 6, where I attempted to answer the questions of both the adults and the children.
The issues raised included criticisms of the state of the roads, potholes, failure to grit, and a lack of bus services, particularly to villages like Halton Lea Gate. The children asked a number of questions from how to ensure that youngsters have a chance to farm in the future, to a strong request for improvements to Haltwhistle Swimming Pool. I will try and answer these questions more fully if any are sent in.

As always I would urge everyone concerned or wanting answers to send me the questions formally by letter to
- 1 Meal Market , Hexham , Northumberland , NE46 1NF
Or Email: guy.opperman.mp@parliament.uk

Because of the difficulty in trying to look after so many I did not get a chance to talk to as many parents or the teachers as I would have liked to have done but a number of things struck me:
- the children were beautifully behaved, notwithstanding their age and tiredness. A real credit to parents and teachers. Not every pupil visit by children a lot older has gone so well...
- although I had helped several of the people who came in the past I am still amazed at how little constituents use their MP. As I said yesterday - if you have a problem or complaint please use me - I work for you all and will simply try and do my best to solve your problem or at the very least ensure you get a fair hearing.
- the tales of the trial of Charles 1st and the description of the suffragettes breaking in to the House of Commons for the national census always moves people.
- finally it is clear that the proposed move to Primary status was popular among many.