Monday 18 November 2013

Westminster this week

The PM is making a statement on the Commonwealth Summit in Sri Lanka in the Commons today. I am very supportive of his decision to go and to shine a light on what took place on all sides in the past. There is no doubt that things have dramatically improved in Sri Lanka since the civil war has ended, but the PM was right to say what he did.

Tomorrow is the last day in the Commons of the Immigration Bill before it heads to the House of Lords. I will be in committee from 8.55-5pm, and trying to pop in to the chamber when I can.
Wednesday I have multiple constituency based meetings on various issues, notably:
- a meeting with BT over the inadequate phone provision in Hedley,
- a meeting with Calor Gas,
- a further meeting with the Living Wage Foundation
and also a coffee with Canon Graham Usher who is attending parliament that afternoon.
Wednesday night I am once again helping candidates at a Women to Win mock selection meeting.
Thursday I have Defra questions and then Home Office business in the Commons as there is a debate on stalking. Friday we are all here for James Wharton's European Referendum Bill.

During Friday I am also looking forward to welcoming pupils and teachers from the Greenhead, Gilsland and Herdley Bank Schools to the House of Commons.