- Half of the worlds population will watch the Olympics
- 83% of all schools are involved in the Get Set for the Games programme, with 508 school games across the country
- 40,000 journalists will be covering the games
- 1000 free Cultural events all over the UK
- The Torch relay will cover 8000 miles around the country
- 4.5 million extra tourists
- 9 Olympic Football matches at St James Park
- One East Tynedale Games
- 4 days for the torch in the North East - all across the Hexham constituency on 16th June
- One amazing band from the North East in Folkestra playing
On March 8th 2012 the massive government advertising programme worth millions of pounds will kickstart the Olympics tourism in this country. Jeremy Hunt, Olympics Minister came to Gateshead today to launch the Olympics in the North East, along with Visit England chief, James Berrisford, Geoff Hodgson, NE Regional Board, the Cultural Olympiad Director, Ruth Mackenzie, and all the great team from the Sage and the Newcastle Gateshead Initiative.
" How can we make the most of the 2012 opportunity? The answer is simple: everyone from abroad will be told -"YOURE INVITED!"
And we must play our part - both by welcoming our guests, and by staycationing here -in Great Britain, and in the North East in particular.
"This will be 6 weeks of fun, but also 6 years of opportunity for our domestic Tourism Businesses" - Jeremy Hunt, MP, Olympics Minister today.
More to follow on the massive TV advertising campaign that is coming on March 8th, and the way in which everyone is going to be offered 20.12% discounts on all manner of local holidays and events.
I cannot wait - a spectacular day. It will be a spectacular year.