Friday 6 December 2013

Huge support for John Woodcock MP in parliament

I do not know John well although I have heard him speak well in the House of Commons. However, he has had the great courage to go public about his battle with depression. I admire him and the others who have led the way on this issue very much: last year my very good friend Charles Walker, MP and North East colleague Kevan Jones, MP, both publicly confessed to having suffered from depression. We need to take the stigma away from being public about what is a disease, which is treatable. A lot of people have suffered depression; I have helped family members who have suffered. I hope John's brave stance will change the public's view that we all have to be strong all of the time. His interview with Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight is very moving.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25226714