Sunday 29 December 2013

2013 in review - June, July & August

In June we held our first local banking conference in Gateshead - a huge success as 160 delegates came to see how they could set up a local bank. Then in late June I was  asked to present he prizes at the Haltwhistle United junior football teams awards - a great celebration of huge team effort by so many, both young and older, in Halty.
My favourite visit was to Acomb Court to meet the residents there and meet their resident pony. You will not believe this blog post! Ponies on patrol in care homes.... See here:
http://guyopperman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/ponies-in-care-homes-great-north-east.html

Late June we welcomed Theresa May to the north, for a dinner in Brampton, and we welcomed Next to hexham, as our campaigns against the green belt took shape both in Ponteland and in parliament.

On Saturday 6th July we had our Hexham clean up day, which was a huge success. I also opened the Matfen fair, and gave the prizes at Mowden School.
On the 11th. July I was pleased to welcome David Laws, the schools Minister to Hexham to meet the. Local heads and start our campaign to get a rebuild or improvement of Hexham QEHS.

I spent most of the rest of July / August in Northumberland as the house was not sitting for 4 weeks, which gave me the opportunity to go to many of the local businesses, fairs, and events that normally I miss out on. I also had the chance to hike some of Isaac's Tea Tea trail and play cricket for Allendale, when we beat wylam, but no thanks to my brief 3 run innings!
August saw the early return of parliament to debate the Syria crisis. I spoke in the commons, arguing strongly for a two stage approach. At the end of August we received the news that Haltwhistle Middle School had been granted its academy status.